The funeral of Mr. Vanderbilt took place Sunday, January 7. The weather was very inclement; notwithstanding a large number of persons called at the house prior to the removal of the remains to the Church of the Strangers, where the service was held. The remains, which were inclosed [sic] in a metal casket, were laid in a large hall and viewed by friends, visitors and a deputation of two hundred and fifty of the attaches of the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad. The floral offerings were of the most simple character, and all attempts at display were studiously avoided. A large crowd witnessed the removal of the remains from the house to the church, which were carried on a bier by six men, one hundred and fifty police keeping the streets clear. The procession from the house to the church was on foot, and headed by the Rev. Drs. Deems and Hutton, Drs. Lindsly and Eliot, together with Drs. Flint and Van Buren. The casket was followed by Mr. W.H. Vanderbilt and Mrs. C. Vanderbilt, Mr. J.C. Vanderbilt and Mrs. W.H. Vanderbilt, Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Cross, and a large number of relatives of the deceased. The Church of the Strangers was heavily draped with black cloth. Admission was by ticket, and every seat was occupied, the pews in the center being reserved for the family and near friends. The casket was borne into the church by twelve men.
Read more beginning on page 11 of In Memoriam: Cornelius Vanderbilt, 1877 – a memorial program published by Vanderbilt University after his death.